Monday 18 April 2011

Ponderings of a new Trustee

'Gardens and gardening are good for us and good for society, so what can we do to make sure that everyone reaps the benefits?'  That was the question debated last summer at one of the most inspiring garden-related conferences I've been to.  Just a few months later I joined the Committee of Management of the AGT as a new Trustee and realised how much is already being done within the Gardens Trusts, both at national and at local level.

I'd like to use this 'blogspot' to tell you about life as an AGT Trustee - the people I'm meeting and the garden events I'm attending.  I'd like to tell you about the community-related projects that I come across as the AGT representative at GreenLINK and at the events organised by the 'Opening all the Gates' project.  But, I'd like to hear from you too.

One crucial point made at the inspirational conference was that people who most need the health giving properties of green space are those least likely to have access to it.  Perhaps there's something going on in your community or county that is helping to improve the situation?  Do you know of a project that is encouraging people to benefit from green space, gardens and gardening? Do let me know.

Now and then, I'll tell you about my experiments with the lunar calendar in my vegetable plot.  Last year I reported my progress on the Berkshire Gardens Trust website and had some interesting feedback. A friend cut one half of his lawn according to the lunar calendar and cut the other half on his usual grass cutting day. He emailed me photographs - they looked just like the 'before' and 'after' hair restorer pics in Sunday supplements - thick and lustrous on one half but thin and patchy on the other. So, if you use the lunar calendar do get in touch. We might all learn something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment